The Indy Jazz Fest presented by Marsh has unveiled the artists taking the stage as part of the festival’s week long Sunset Series as it prepares to kick off its 13th year. Held over a five-day period September 12-17 in many locations, Indy Jazz Fest combines the great venues of Indianapolis with the diversity of jazz styles. The full schedule and ticket information is available at the festival’s newly redesigned website: www.indyjazzfest.net
• Monday, Sept. 12, 7 p.m. – Aaron Diehl Trio at the Jazz Kitchen, 5377 N. College Ave. Special opener by guitarist Jeff McLaughlin, winner of the 2010 Owl Studios Emerging Artist Competition. Tickets are $25.
• Tuesday, Sept. 13, 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. – The Headhunters at the Jazz Kitchen, 5377 N. College Ave. The former Herbie Hancock backing band combines funk, groove and latin. Tickets are $25.
• Wednesday, Sept. 14, 7 p.m. – Kevin Mahogany and the Steve Allee Trio at the Cabaret Columbia Club, 121 Monument Circle. Jazz standards and nostalgic gems. Tickets can be purchased for $35, $45 and $55.
• Thursday, Sept. 15, 7 p.m. – WICR is presenting a special free concert featuring the Indy Jazz Fest Band at the Christel de Haan Fine Arts Center at the University of Indianapolis, 1400 E. Hanna Ave. This concert is FREE and open to all ages.
• Friday, Sept. 16, 7:30 p.m. – Freda Payne pays tribute to Ella Fitzgerald and the Great Ladies of Jazz at Madame Walker Theatre Center, 617 Indiana Ave. Payne, known for her hit “Band of Gold,” will cover other jazz greats including Billie Holiday, Lena Horne and Dinah Washington. Tickets are $25.
Multi-Grammy award-winning musician George Benson will be the 2011 festival headliner as part of the outdoor grand finale September 17 on the grounds of Opti Park in Broad Ripple. Additional Saturday Main Stage performers include Spyro Gyra, Yellowjackets and Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue and Rufus Reid’s “Out Front” Quintet. Gates open at 12 p.m. with music on three stages from 1 p.m. to 11 p.m.