The Marion County Public Health Department, in cooperation with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, is providing information on carbon monoxide poisoning to recreational vehicle (RV) owners coming to the track for the Brickyard 400 race on Sunday, July 28.
Printed fliers will be handed out as an educational outreach effort after an RV parked near the race track in May of 2008 filled with carbon monoxide, killing one person and hospitalizing three others.
The Marion County Public Health Department provides printed fliers to the speedway who then distributes the information in areas where it hosts recreational vehicles. Smaller RV lot owners can contact the health department to get copies of the fliers at no charge.
Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death. It is found in combustion fumes, like those produced by cars and trucks, small gasoline engines, stoves, lanterns, burning charcoal and wood, and gas ranges and heating systems. Carbon monoxide from these sources can build up in enclosed or partially-enclosed spaces, such as RVs. People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned by breathing it.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. High levels of CO inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death. People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from CO poisoning before ever experiencing symptoms.