Indy Jazz Fest returns in 2014 with a 10-day lineup in venues “All Around Town” September 11-20, featuring special headliner and Indianapolis native Josh Kaufman, recent winner of NBC’s hit show The Voice. The announcement marks the start of the festival’s 16th year and is a celebration of its year-round dedication to strengthening the Indianapolis jazz and arts scene. Among the additional headliners are Maceo Parker, a funk and soul jazz saxophonist, best known for his work with James Brown, and Steve Turre, a mentee of Indianapolis’ own J.J. Johnson and heading into his 30th year as trombonist with the Saturday Night Live Band. This year’s festival will also feature the return of the popular Pub Creep and the finale Block Party event. Tickets go on sale Friday, July 18 at indyjazzfest.net.
The 10-day celebration will feature headliners and performers including the following, with more additions to the lineup in coming weeks:
Thursday, September 11
- Indy Jazz Fest Band at the Christel deHaan Fine Arts Center at the University of Indianapolis, 7 p.m. FREE to the public. Sponsored by WICR.
Friday, September 12
- Maceo Parker at Madame Walker Theatre, 8 p.m. Ticket prices range from $40-$55, with student tickets available for $15.
- Claire Daly Quartet at The Jazz Kitchen, 7 p.m. Tickets are $12. Sponsored by North Coast Brewing Company.
- Sara Gazarek at The Cabaret at the Columbia Club, 8 p.m. Tickets range from $25-$55.
Saturday, September 13
- Josh Kaufman at The Murat Theatre at Old National Centre, 8 p.m. Ticket prices range from $37-$57 with VIP tickets available. Sponsored by Ameriprise Financial and Hampton Inn Indianapolis Downtown.
- Gust Spenos Jumpin’ and Shoutin’ the Blues with Wycliffe Gordon (trombone), Freddie Hendrix (trumpet), Bruce Williams (alto sax), Jason Marshall (baritone sax), Brandon McCune (piano/B3), Chris Berger (bass), and Cecil Brooks (drums) at The Jazz Kitchen, 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Tickets are $15.
- Sara Gazarek at The Cabaret at the Columbia Club, 7 p.m. Tickets range from $25-$55.
Sunday, September 14
- Steve Turre Quintet plays the music of J.J. Johnson at Indiana Landmarks Center, 6:30 p.m. Ticket prices range from $25-$40 with student tickets available for $10.
- Farrelly Markiewicz Jazz Quartet, Weirich-Murray Band, and Butler University Jazz Combo sponsored and hosted by Dalara IndyCar Factory, Lino’s Coffee and the Speedway Chamber of Commerce and Redevelopment Commission, 1201 Main Street in Speedway, 1-8 p.m. FREE to the public.
- Musica Cubana – A snapshot of Cuba and its influence on jazz, dance and beyond: Pavel and Direct Contact, Sancocho Dance and Gerardo Gonzalez at the Indianapolis Marion County Central Library, 3 p.m. FREE to the public. Sponsored by IndyGo and the Indianapolis Marion County Library.
Wednesday, September 17
- Rob Dixon and the Indianapolis Jazz Collective featuring Stefon Harris with opening performance by the Cynthia Layne band at the Indianapolis Museum of Art Terrace (show will be moved indoors to the Toby in the event of rain), 7 p.m. Ticket prices range from $25-$35 with student tickets available for $10. Sponsored by The Law Firm of Foley & Abbott.
Thursday, September 18
- Grace Kelley Quartet at Apparatus, 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $25. Sponsored by Apparatus.
- Butler University Faculty Jazz Quintet at the Howard L. Schrott Center for the Performing Arts, 7 p.m. FREE to the public.
Friday, September 19
- Tom Harrell Quartet with Luis Perdomo (piano and Fender Rhodes), Ugonna Okegwo (bass), and Johnathan Blake (drums) at the Jazz Kitchen, 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Ticket prices range from $40-$30.
Saturday, September 20
- BLOCK PARTY 2014 at the Jazz Kitchen and Yats, 3:30 p.m.-Midnight. Tickets are $15. Eleven bands on two stages inside and outside with food, drinks and great music (adults 21+).