Colorful concoction defeats five other dairy creations
Monroe Concessions’ Spaghetti Ice Cream has been voted the 2012 ‘Signature Food’ at the Indiana State Fair. Online voters selected this dish after reading the insights from a panel of eight judges who tasted all six entries.
Fairgoers can find the winning dessert on Main Street across from the Pepsi Coliseum, the spot given to the contest’s winning concessionaire every year. The dish sells for $5 and consists of spaghetti shaped Italian ice cream (“gelato”) with strawberry “tomato sauce,” shaved white chocolate “cheese” and chocolate “meatballs.”
Bob and Joanie Monroe of Monroe Concessions in Marion, IN, came up with the concept after learning that this year’s fair is the “Year of Dairy Cows” and will also feature an exhibit on Italy in the International Pavilion. This is the second time the Monroes have won the contest. Their deep-fried chocolate covered strawberries won the inaugural competition in 2006.
“The last time we won it was so much fun seeing all the kids get excited about our food,” Joanie Monroe said. “This year will be great because kids will love the idea of spaghetti ice cream. It’s something people of all ages will like.”
To celebrate the fair’s “Year of Dairy Cows” theme, contest rules required vendors to use dairy products in their food creations. Here are the other entries, which will all be on sale at the State Fair, so visitors can judge for themselves:
- Cheese Squared (Coffman Concessions): Chipotle, creamy spinach, or garlic herb cream cheese wrapped in Swiss cheese, then lightly breaded and fried. ($6 for 5 squares)
- Moo Chew Meal (American Dairy Association): A light, refreshing lemon chiller milkshake served with a sourdough grilled cheese sandwich loaded with American and Pepper Jack cheese. ($5)
- Micro Beer Cheese Sauce (Barto’s Catering): Local micro brew-fused beer cheese sauce served on either fresh cut fries, hefty burger or on the side for dipping. ($1/cup)
- Caramel Corn Sundae (Baskin Robbins): Vanilla ice cream with hot caramel topping, caramel corn, fresh whipped cream, nuts, and a cherry. ($5.50 for 2 scoops)
- Blue Ribbon Cannoli (Bakerman Concessions): A crisp Italian cookie shell filled with sweet, whipped ricotta cheese, whipping cream, powdered sugar, mini chocolate chips and dried berries, finished off with a powdered sugar sprinkle. ($6 for 2)
For more information on the state fair, visit www.indianastatefair.com.