The Indianapolis Department of Public Works (DPW) and Indy Parks will once again begin accepting real Christmas trees for mulching at multiple drop-off locations in public parks throughout the city from Sunday, December 25, 2022, through Tuesday, January 31, 2023.
Marion County residents are encouraged to drop off their real trees at these seven different locations so they may be mulched into soil blends for a second life. Dead trees in homes pose a fire hazard, so those without the ability to compost or mulch trees on their property have the opportunity to drop them off at one of the below sites.
Any and all tree stands, skirts, ornaments, tinsel, lights, garland, popcorn, stowaways, and all other decorative materials MUST be removed prior to drop off.
Trees should be dropped off only at the specially designated area within the park, and only between dawn and dusk. Please check the list carefully as the selected park locations vary from year-to-year and the site you brought your tree to last year may no longer be a site. Dropping off trees at locations not listed below is considered illegal dumping and is punishable by fines of up to $3,000.
Again, this service is provided for Marion County residents ONLY and is not offered for commercial use.
2022-23 Indianapolis Christmas Tree Mulching Locations
Drop-off locations are as follows:
- Ellenberger Park | 5301 E. St. Clair Street | Northeast corner by the pool
- Garfield Park | 2432 Conservatory Drive | in front of the MacAllister Amphitheater
- Northwestway Park | 5253 W. 62nd Street | to the left of the entrance
- Perry Park | 451 E. Stop 11 Road | to the left of the Stop 11 main entrance
- Riverside Park | 2420 East Riverside Drive | by the basketball court
- Sahm Park | 6801 E. 91st Street | near the recycling bins
- Riverwood Park | 7201 Crittenden Avenue
Each year, thousands of trees are repurposed through this city service. Residents with broken strings of lights are encouraged to properly recycle them via ToxDrop or RecycleForce.